Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Apr 23 12 10:31 PM

Somewhere to observe and track stoats?

Varúð

Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Apr 24 12 6:11 AM

Time to end the P Thread week and seeing as I can't give myself a prize, this week's trophy
shall be shared by Gazza and Macca ........................ as I can't decide between the two of you.
So here is your P Trophy.

If we only had 2 entries for P what on earth will happen with Q - coming up next ??

Coaching should be about providing football for children, not children for football !

gazza007

Danny's Boy

#23 [url]

Apr 24 12 7:51 AM

I'm going to respectfully decline and hand my half of the trophy over to Macc, as his is a worthy winner, whereas mine was merely based on a terrace rumour. Thanks, Lennie, but Macc's was a brilliant story and should be the sole recipient of the accolade. If that's ok with you of course, matey.

Click here to view the attachment

#24 [url]

Apr 24 12 8:16 AM

Very generous of you Gazza.

If Macca has the main prize perhaps you can have a little P. We'll call it a "dribble".

Coaching should be about providing football for children, not children for football !

gazza007

Danny's Boy

#25 [url]

Apr 24 12 8:31 AM

If Macca has the main prize perhaps you can have a little P. We'll call it a "dribble".

-bringbacklenwhite

Brilliant! I'll have a 'P', but only if you change your name to Bob!

#26 [url]

Apr 24 12 8:39 AM

Tonight, Gazza, I will be whoever you want me to be !

angel

Blockbusters, a blast from the past. Never worked out that 2 vs 1.

Remove this ad

gazza007

Danny's Boy

#27 [url]

Apr 24 12 8:45 AM

Tonight, Gazza, I will be whoever you want me to be !
[image]
Blockbusters, a blast from the past. Never worked out that 2 vs 1.

-bringbacklenwhite

Just had a look for a Blockbusters-related image, and found this. Some interesting little 'before they were famous' facts about some of today's 'celebs'. Amanda Holden's doesn't surprise me in the slightest!

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Before_They_Were_Famous

#28 [url]

Apr 24 12 9:47 AM

Gazza - I'm totally humbled by your gesture, matey. There really was no need...

But thank you very much all the same - and cheers, as ever, to Lennie!

Miracles take a little longer...

#29 [url]

Sep 16 13 1:22 AM

Apologies one and all.

This is an extremely late bump, but it has occurred to me that I never got around to telling a favourite 'sporting' story of mine during Week P. I had it typed up ready to go, but never cut and pasted it at the time and have just come across it on my work pc. I wanted to share it with you though so hopefully no one minds me including it retrospectively.

PARACHUTING

No, not a description of County’s descent through the leagues over recent years (I’d have used ‘plummet’ for Week P if that were my intention) but the actual past-time, if one can call it that, of launching yourself out of a plane from several thousands of feet. Some think of this activity as a sport (of sorts), so my little anecdote finds its way into CHAOS.

I think, by now, everyone is familiar with my mate who I lovingly refer to as ‘Tim’ because, well, that’s his name. Hopefully, you have also gained some impression of the frankly blasé and reckless approach he has to life. No single event depicts this greater than when he jumped out of a plane whilst holidaying in Cuba.

The background to the story is largely uneventful, but begins with Tim and one of his two holidaying mates tricking the third (who was terrified of heights) into thinking he’d been booked to do a sky-dive. To cut a long story short, the prank horrendously back-fired and it was in fact Tim who found himself preparing to be launched out of a plane.

Having gone through literally seconds of training in not-very-good English, Tim was shown to an aging Russian war plane which was so decrepit that the door would not shut properly and actually flew open shortly after take-off. By this point, the wind was such that it could not be closed and the entire ascent had to be completed with the door wide open.

Tim, being only slight, was the last to jump and since everyone taking part had to be matched to an instructor who would create a similar aggregate weight, Tim was paired with a Cuban giant who, by all accounts, resembled John Coffey from The Green Mile. Imagine a Kangaroo with a joey attached to its front, only in bright jumpsuits and with a backpack.

Anyway, following their freefall descent and shortly after the parachute had deployed, Tim became aware of a general feeling of unease with his instructor who, in fairness, did his level best to persuade Tim that nothing was wrong. It became apparent, however, that their ropes had become tangled, and it took the instructor a few moments to rectify this, during which time he was not paying particular attention to the rapidly approaching Cuban surface.

When he did eventually return his efforts to the small matter of landing, it was clear that they were not heading towards the landing strip they had originally departed from (and where everyone else had by now successfully touched-down) but had instead been blown off course towards a farmer’s field some distance away. Unable to get them sufficiently back on course (and no doubt grateful that they were still heading for grass and not a building or cliff face), the instructor successfully improvised a landing into said field.

It was at this point, relieved to be alive in all likelihood, that Tim became aware of a herd of bulls approaching them... as the large (did I mention it was bright red?) parachute slowly came down around them....

#32 [url]

Sep 17 13 6:36 AM

sandbachhatter wrote:
Imagine a Kangaroo with a joey attached to its front, only in bright jumpsuits

that is a little bit of genius, mr sandbach.

i might have to try and make the time to read back through some of these. i never really did as they were going up, and i probably should have.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help